Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Curse of the Golden Flower

Genre: Drama
Rating: 4/10


(Source: girl.com.au)

As Zhang Yimou's signature style, Golden Flower was colourful [Forbidden City's interior was made up beautifully, very rich in colours], costumes intricate [wonder how much their costumes weigh] and scenes choreographed nicely [even servants waking up in unison, servants chopping herbs were choreographed to perfection].

The plot sounds like The Banquet , and one scene replicated from Hero. The plot revolves around the Royal Family, all plotting to murder off each other. Quite an insane plot if you've never watched The Banquet. If you have, then it's predictable.

Chow Yun Fatt's acting deserve praise here. Never seen him in such form for quite some time. His sarcastic face is priceless. Gong Li is good too, and this is the first time I've watched her in a mandarin movie [I have the DVD in mandarin! *woot*]. I'm unsure whether it's Chow's original voice speaking though...doesn't sound like him, his part was probably dubbed.

Why I do not like it.

a) Crown Prince looks like a sissy
b) Movie too slow paced

No comments: