Saturday, November 24, 2007

Passport Making: A Kiasu Malaysian Guide

My brother and I took approximately 5 hours to complete our passport renewal process. Crap! Just because we weren't too sure the exact procedure. We went to Subang Terminal 3 Immigration Department. I'm not too sure about the protocol in another branch, but here's a I-am-kiasu guide for the optimum speed of passport making / renewal.

The surest way to make your passport fast is to have a copy of your IC [front and back on the same page], your original IC, 2 passport photographs, and a form ready [buy the form beforehand]. Go to the Immigration Department on the intended day of making your passport with the above items. Go as early as possible [reach the department at 7.00 am].

Since you have everything ready, they'll let you get a number. NOTE: They will not let you take a number without a complete form and the documents and photographs needed. @#$%. I mean, FUCK! Then wait for your number to be called to process your application. Wait a little longer to pay for the passport. From the time of payment, wait 2 more hours to get your passport [try 1.5 hours, sometimes it's ready to be collected]. The whole process, optimum speed, should take about 3 hours only.

Do not lose this or you're screwed! Note the stamping at the corner of the paper. *Sweat*.

However, without any of the items ready, or you'd rather not go twice to the department [once to buy the form and second time to make your passport], it's best to have two persons going at the same time. First, one person to line up to buy the form and another person to line up to take photographs. Photocopy your IC at the same place as the photoshop. Fill up the form while you're lining up to take the photographs too! After collecting your photographs, RUN to the angka giliran counter to collect your number. Wait to process application. Wait to pay. Wait 1.5 hours to collect passport. Voila!

For families with children below 18 years of age, get ready their photocopied birth certificate and bring along the original. The protocol is the same, except that you may take a longer time during processing.

1 comment:

Kevin Siah said...

Yeah it took me very long the last time too. For the money I paid for the parking, I could have probably saved more by making two trips - come back later by estimating the time.

I heard there's another place that does it a lot quicker though. But I forgot where it was. Maybe in PJ or something.