Sunday, March 09, 2008

Malaysia's 12th General Election Results

This will go down in history as the most surprising GE Malaysia has ever had. Click here to view Election results from The Star Online (they report truths now). For more news regarding the GE, click on The Star's Election Special link. Malaysiakini is going to be not free in hours! :(

Summary
BN is denied its 2/3 majority with opposition holding 82 seats.
5 states under opposition (now the ruling state government la).

  • Kelantan is retained by PAS.
  • Kedah is won by PKR-PAS coalition.
  • Penang by DAP-PKR coalition.
  • Perak by DAP-PKR coalition.
  • Selangor by DAP-PKR coalition.
Democracy lives in Malaysia. This is my first GE, so I would like to recap the moments. I woke up on Saturday morning around 10.00 am. Got ready to cast my vote in SK USJ 4 Seri Selangor. Went with my dad and brother (my mother's polling center was in SMK Subang Jaya, my old secondary school). We registered ourselves at the SPR registrar and found out our respective polling stations in the school. I gave my IC to the SPR staff and she gave me a piece of paper showing my polling station. She wrote a serial number at the back of the paper. So I asked her : "Erm, sebenarnya nombor siri untuk apa ya?" (for fear of trackable votes, UM's election practices that).

On the way to the polling station, brother and I met our next door neighbour who just casted his vote. I met Ms. Sandra in the same polling station! Waved at her lor because we aren't supposed to talk. Then I saw my DUN, Hannah Yeoh's husband and then came Hannah herself to the polling station. My brother said 'hi' to her because he thought she looked familiar (he thought she was his friend wei...).

I was called into the polling station (classroom) after the person before me was registered. Gave them my IC, then the polling station paper. The SPR staff called out my name and my details, my serial number (registration under SPR serial number). Since there was no objection from any polling agents, I was given two ballot papers, one for Parliament and one for State.

Then casted my votes in the booth. Marked hard and large. Hmph! Then I walked out of the booth and placed the votes into the respective ballot boxes for Parliament and State. Waited for my brother outside, then we walked out of the school to meet dad. Dad was in another classroom. Hannah Yeoh was few meters away from us and I told brother, "wei I'm going to shake hands with her, watch".

Hah then after the SPR no-talking-no-fishing-for-votes perimeter, I called "Hannah". She, her husband and her campaigner turned around. I extended my hand and said "nice to meet you, good luck!". She said "thank you". And that's my highlight of the day. Mission accomplished.

Then the whole family fetched mum from somewhere, came home for a while, then headed off to SMK Subang Jaya to fetch mum to her polling center. Bro and I went along to see our old school. So much difference! And we also met Mr. Sim (ex-Mod Maths teacher). He's slimmed down a lot!

Then, went home and rest. Watched GE results online since 7.00 pm. Slept at 3.00 am!

Paraphernalia from GE 2008 campaigns.

No comments: