Genre: Drama, Action, Comedy, Irritance
Rating: 4/10
I generally love this TVB series, hence the will to watch it again. I will watch it again if it airs on Astro, because TVB seem to have the lack of ability to produce good series these days. Or maybe its because I have the lack of willpower to watch new series - doesn't that mean that TVB is not attracting my attention anymore?
This series is a little different from the original Shanghai Bund [Chow Yuen Fatt version]. There's a new character, another tycoon in Shanghai whose wealth matches Fung Keng Yiu's. For me, only the manipulating each others' enemies, yao-yee-hei, killing scenes/episodes are enjoyable. This means that only 40% of the episodes were enjoyable.
a) Ting Lik manipulating Fung Keng Yiu's subordinates to save Yu Chan Hoi from embarrasment.
b) Ting Lik stabbing his own arm to 'return' his debt to Hui Man Kheong before joining Fung Keng Yiu's alliance.
c) Hui Man Kheong [too bergaya in this scene] and Jing Mou Society killing the Japanese
d) Hui Man Kheong burying his family [so sad!].
e) Hui Man Kheong greeting Fung Keng Yiu with his finger-missing hand [announcing his return to Shanghai, too bergaya]
f) Chan Hon Lum's death.
g) Ting Lik trying to explain to Fung Ching Ching that he didn't kill Chan Hon Lum, but couldn't fully explain it. Ting Lik's expression: Priceless.
h) Hui Man Kheong and Ting Lik causing the downfall of Fung Keng Yiu.
i) Hui Man Kheong and Ting Lik setting up a finale for Fung Keng Yiu's death.
The romance storyline in this series just suck. Can't stand it when they take 40 episodes to get together [finally!!!!!!]. Or they take 40 episodes to get together, but the relationship failed in the end. Or one person get together with another person just out of spite. WTF!!!!! The only couple I liked is Henry and Loi Hei.
The characters expanded well, given the 40-episode length of this series. Chan Kam Hung portrayed Hui Man Kheong well. Looking like Chow Yuen Fatt gives him an added bonus! His character requires him to be cool and calm, and parts where his character is angry, Chan Kam Hung gave enough emotion for that.
Nadia Chan's Fung Ching Ching is great! I think her character has the best expansion in this series. And her character phase is complemented with different hairstyles. When she was sweet and innocent, her hair was straight and short, and boy does her character irritate me to death in this phase.
Then when she married Ting Lik, her hair was curly at the bottom only [my personal favourite]. When she dismiss arguments with Ting Lik, it is so good, I wish I could pick up some pointers here! [Hand-swishing action comes with the dismiss]. Then when her father died, her hair was tied up in some sort of weird medieval-time-bun [damn ugly].
Poon Chi Man's portrayal as Fung Keng Yiu is well suited. This character is harsh and scheming and distrustful and evil all the time. My favourite character after Hui Man Kheong! Poon Chi Man did his job well, he really know how to act like a big bastard tycoon.
I'm sorry, but Cheng Siu Chau's character really sucked here. Can you imagine, his best part was being insane when he lost his memory? This meant that when he is sane, his character just pure irritates you. Really wasted that such a talented actor portray sucky characters.
It's too lenghty to write about every character, but know that this is a great series to watch if the new TVB series aren't attractive.




3 comments:
did you watch the old old version of this movie with chow yun fatt and lui leong wai?
Is that better or this better? I personally have not watch this new version but I find the storyline for the old one is better.
BTW, despite me hating hongkong movie scenes these days (as said in my blog), I still think HK make the best series in Asia compared to korea and japan who make more idol type of TV series and limited storyline. HK's series are so varied and full of in depth storyline.
regards,
abubin
have you watched the china version of "new shanghai bund"? starring huang xiao ming... it's really good!!!
Post a Comment