Genre: Courtroom drama
Rating: 10/10
I can't find anything wrong with the movie. Okay the Southern accent irritated me, but it really wasn't as bad as 'How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days' or 'Sweet Home Alabama' [the accent was unbearable!!!!!!]. I went into a DVD selling shop with small hopes to find this movie. Believe me, I've been looking for it since the middle of last year. I went into many shops and they either don't have it, or they've never heard of it in their life [Quote unquote "Huh? Meh hei lei geh? Sylvester Stallone zhou gah? - Translated as "Huh what show is that? Acted by Sylvester Stallone ah?"].
This movie is based on a fiction written by John Grisham. Set in the 1980s in Mississippi. Racism between blacks and whites. Two white men raped a black girl. Her father, Carl Lee Hailey [Samuel L. Jackson] seek retribution in his own way, by killing the two white men before they were even tried. Carl Lee hired Jake Brigance [Matthew McConaughey] as his lawyer. Brigance, together with a law student Ellen Roark [Sandra Bullock] have to convince an all-white jury to free a black man who clearly murdered the white men.
I read the book as well. The book was very long winded, only one last chapter for the trial. Very very boring. The movie, however is different. Samuel L. Jackson is 100% suited for this Hailey character. Killed in style, talked smart. The rest of the cast were well suited, and I especially like the Judge Omar Noose - great lines!
The flow of the movie is smooth. The emotions affected me and I teared in a few scenes. I have to reiterate that Jackson was terrific here! Lots of good, memorable scenes in there.
I feel that movies in the 1990s were really good, completely outshines after-millennium movies [What the crap are they showing in the cinemas now huh?? Trilogies after trilogies?? And not forgetting tetralogies?]. A number of good 1990s on my mind now, offhand:
a) The Fugitive
b) A Few Good Men
c) A Time to Kill
d) The Shawshank Redemption

2 comments:
Ah..I remember watching that movie long time ago. It was a good movie for me as well. But a 10/10 is definitely not.
As for your other 4 good movies. I also agree. Wow...you seems to like smart, intelligent kind of movies with some good action. We seems to have the same kind of taste for movies. Hmm..cool.
My fav among that four is The Shawshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins is awesome in that movie.
Thank god you are not into movies like Brokeback mountain or the english patient or do you?
eeeee...I don't plan to watch either brokeback or english patient. Not my kind of movie.
As for Ralph. He is fine if you like the european look.
Post a Comment