Genre: War, historical, legend
Rating: 9/10
Movie poster. Zhou Yu (Tony Leung), Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang (Takeshi Kaneshiro).(Source: Yowazzup)
This movie is a small part of a famous Chinese novel - Romance of the Three Kingdoms (San Guo Yan Yi). The three kingdoms were in what we now call China, whereby each kingdom was controlled by a ruler. The term 'romance' describes the relationship between the three kingdoms, two at allies for a time against one kingdom, always at war in order to seize more land and establish themselves. I have read the simplified version of the book in English (one page two pictures and some captions under the pictures to tell the story, that simplified). I cannot profess to be accurate, or to fully understand the story, so I will only elaborate here in my own words.
But first, some Background InformationCountry A
- Ruler: No idea, useless king, scared of Cao Cao
- Orang hebat: Cao Cao (Prime Minister, super powerful, controls the whole kingdom's armies)
Country B
- Ruler: Liu Bei
- Orang hebat: Zhuge Liang (strategy advisor, very smart, the book portrays him like god, or so my dad describes, doesn't involve himself in battle, doesn't wear military clothing), Guan Yu (the deity some Chinese families pray to called Guan Gong is this character, known for loyalty to friends, ability to feel indebted to foes, teaches philosophy when not at war, has red face and pheonix eyes), Zhang Fei (very bad temper, known for famous roar, sleeps with eyes open) and Zhao Yun (saved Liu Bei's son).
Country C
- Ruler: Sun Quan
- Orang hebat: Zhou Yu (military advisor).
Red Cliff covers a short story about the battle in a place whereby Zhou Yu (Tony Leung) built a fort. Liu Bei was under attack by Cao Cao and sent Zhuge Liang to seek help from Sun Quan, who after the advice of Zhou Yu, agreed to help. Watch the battle unfold in the Red Cliff...
Things I like about this movie. For the first time, I claim to ENJOY a Chinese war-genre movie. Partly because I've read the story, or because I like the uniqueness of Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Zhuge Liang's characters. The movie was interesting because the dialogue is humourous la I tell you!!! I doubted at first, whether Takeshi Kaneshiro could portray the wise Zhuge Liang. After watching the movie, confirm respect him and continue drooling over him. His face expression superb always lor! Have to watch to appreciate it. Zhao Wei played Sun Quan's sister in this movie, I like her wit and determination - she added life to the movie as well. The serious tone of war was balanced entirely by Zhuge Liang's and Princess Sun's dialogues - that's what sets Red Cliff apart from other Chinese war-genre movies - it's ability to make the audience laugh, cry and cheer in the entire war setting ordeal. Thumbs up!
Things I like about this movie. For the first time, I claim to ENJOY a Chinese war-genre movie. Partly because I've read the story, or because I like the uniqueness of Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Zhuge Liang's characters. The movie was interesting because the dialogue is humourous la I tell you!!! I doubted at first, whether Takeshi Kaneshiro could portray the wise Zhuge Liang. After watching the movie, confirm respect him and continue drooling over him. His face expression superb always lor! Have to watch to appreciate it. Zhao Wei played Sun Quan's sister in this movie, I like her wit and determination - she added life to the movie as well. The serious tone of war was balanced entirely by Zhuge Liang's and Princess Sun's dialogues - that's what sets Red Cliff apart from other Chinese war-genre movies - it's ability to make the audience laugh, cry and cheer in the entire war setting ordeal. Thumbs up!
As for Tony Leung's performance, I can only comment on his facial expression because the dialogues were not delivered by him (so sad!) - normal, the usual - and I still prefer him in regular Hong Kong gangser movies. Every other actor in this movie was well chosen, the portrayal of Guan Yu and Zhang Fei was especially accurate.
Funny times, sad times (I almost cried a bit at the starting part when Zhao Yun saved Liu Bei's son) all mingled to perfection. I am also very impressed by the 'ba gua' formation of troops whereby the combined efforts of Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu managed to overcome the land attack of Cao Cao's troops. However, some may find that formation part draggy - as complained by my brother.
Funny times, sad times (I almost cried a bit at the starting part when Zhao Yun saved Liu Bei's son) all mingled to perfection. I am also very impressed by the 'ba gua' formation of troops whereby the combined efforts of Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu managed to overcome the land attack of Cao Cao's troops. However, some may find that formation part draggy - as complained by my brother.
Zhuge Liang, Liu Bei and Zhou Yu paying respects to the first victim of the Red Cliff Battle - a messenger who was beheaded by Cao Cao when Sun Quan sent a blank letter showing refusal to surrender to the former.(Source: CRIEnglish.com).
The movie, however ends at the preparation to rid of Cao Cao's sea attacks. I believe the stories in Red Cliff Part II are well heard of, i.e. 'borrow arrows' and 'burn linked ships'. That should make it more interesting! I can't stop praising this movie!!! I rate it this high purely for its entertainment value, if you ask whether I will watch it over and over and over again like I did Sound of Music, I may not, haha! But honestly, I haven't watched a good movie like this for too long a time.

No comments:
Post a Comment