Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Author: Sophie Kinsella
Genre: Chic Lit
Rating: 3/10

(Source: Overstock.com)

On the cover, I notice two overstatements:

a) The hilarious must-have bestseller
b) Too good to pass up

Falacies I tell you. I find it disappointing that every Kinsella book goes uninteresting, linear with the number of Kinsella books I read in chronological order. First I read Can You Keep A Secret? [Brilliant book], then it was The Undomestic Goddess, and now this.

This book is about Rebecca Bloomwood, and as the title suggests, she's a shopaholic. She can't afford any of what she buys. She can't resist buying stuff she don't need in a lifetime. She owes credit card companies. She owes the bank [I don't understand the Endwich Bank part, but it doesn't matter].

Okay this book is a page turner. A real speedy page turner because I was inclined to skip whole pages to quickly see what goes on next. It's too long winded. Rebecca is an unlikeable character. How is it funny that a person shirks off their responsibilities as easy as...as...as changing clothes? Oh my god, she lies to every professional she meets in her career as to not look stupid, her excuses and explanations for everything plain pissed me off. In the end, all she did was, get lucky. And even in the last page, she still managed to be irresponsible, forgetting to meet the bank manager. *brrr*

I know this is too much energy to spend on getting worked up about a fictional character. However, this is the main reason of me not liking the book. So there. No more Shopaholic books to come, I expect.

No comments: