Monday, June 11, 2007

Husbands

Author: Adele Parks
Genre: Chic Lit
Rating: 7/10


I enjoyed this book. Quite a slow start, but when it got to the climax, it became a page-turner. It's about confused Bella Edwards. Unhappy with her background, she is always in denial, never facing the truth about herself. She married Stevie Jones when she was in college, and when the marriage turned bad, she walked out and never returned. She also failed to file for a divorce.

Then she met Philip 8 years later, fell for him and married him [unexpectedly]. Things get out of hand when Bella's best friend, Laura introduced her new guy to the group - who turned out to be the very Stevie Jones. The story then unfolds to how Bella handles the situation as a bigamist [it just hit her]. Will she save her current marriage? Will she save her friendship? Or will she walk out again?

Another England-based chic lit! Yeah! It seems that Adele Parks researched a lot about Scottish and Australians because the main characters were of these nationalities. I'm not sure about other Park's books, but this book is written in the first point-of-views of all the main characters. Every chapter is narrated by different characters alternately, which is why this book is different from those I usually read. Actually sometimes I get confused about who is 'I' as I read different chapters.

Bella Edwards, the main character is difficult to like. Sometimes I can connect myself to her confusion, but most of the time I can't stand the mess she's in. And it seems that Adele Parks always creates main characters that readers dislike/unable to sympathize with. However, this point drew me to keep reading to see the ending. Good read!

No comments: