Sunday, July 01, 2007

Death Note

Genre: Anime
Rating: 5/10

Actually I knew what Death Note is after I watched the movies. Great movies, and the second part was better! So I went to download the anime episode per episode, thank god there's only 37 of them.

I will write this review into two parts, i.e. pre-L's Death and post-L's Death [Yes sorry to spoil it, he dies in the middle of the series].

Pre-L's Death
The anime introduced the Death Note and Yagami Light and L in one episode. No time wasting there. From here you can already deduce that Light is really smart, he knows how to manipulate the Death Note to cover his doings, and it also shows that L is equally smart! I really like love L. Anyway his face and profile was not properly shown until the 4th or 5th episode.

I watched the movie first, like I mentioned, and I was surprised and pleased at the same time about how L was drawn in this anime. He has constantly-shocked-wide-eyes [Sounds like a Luna Lovegood description in Harry Potter, don't you think?], he crouches [because his deduction powers will be lost by a large percentage if he sits like everyone else] and he holds things delicately [I love the way he answers phones]. I liked all his lines because they're blunt and they often show no mercy which makes it funny. Once I was watching one of the episodes in the lab and burst out laughing all of the sudden! And Ms. Heong was laughing instead about Mr. Bean clips.

One of my favourite scenes. Light and L gained admission in the Hebat University of Japan. The opening speech by both of them [because they're both the smartest based on the entrance exam] was hilarious. This is in either episode 11 or 12.
(Source: Kimagure Anime Blog)

ANYWAY. The whole story is that L suspects Light, and was very open about his suspicion. However a second Kira [that's 'killer' in Japanese] appeared and was doing the killings at the same time as the first Kira [Light]. L recruited Light to be in his investigation team to capture the second Kira. Cat and mouse game. Light was so good at manipulation [Hey he had an edge, he knew exactly how the Death Note works whilst L had no clue as to what a Death Note is], he got L killed in the end. Boo hoo. Mourn for 1 week. That's episode 26 to you.

Post-L's Death
The series starts to go down the drain starting episode 27. *pfft* Total disrespect to L [I may be a little biased because I really loved L with all my heart]. And they have two successors of L. *pfft* One is Mello [Initial M] and another is Near [Initial N], so L-M-N get it? *pfft* I hated both the successors because...M looks sissy and N looks kiddy. They chose to work individually because both of them are kind of like, rivals since young.

So N got to be L's official successor because M gave way to N. N heads a new investigation team for catching Kira. And a new Kira was introduced into the episodes due to Light's manipulation. Light even got his sister crazy and drove his father to his death. But in the end, you know who wins. Evil dies and the good prevails.

The plot got so messy since episode 27 that I have to spend the whole day watching 27-37 in succession, otherwise I won't understand it. I can say that the ending is quite cool, the way N manipulated Light's moves. But I still prefer L to be the one in the last showdown. But it's not up to me right?

Conclusion
There are so many things to be said that I did not mention, e.g. the Shinigamis [my favourite one is Ryuk, whereby he goes into withdrawal syndromes when lacking apple supply], the side characters in the investigation team [my favourite is Matsuda, whereby he speaks his mind although it sounds really childish at times], the girlfriends [my favourite is Amane Misa who's so good at being a complete bimbo] and the number of Death Notes [If I explained it, I'd get thoroughly confused myself].

When I first saw Ryuk in the movies, he looked scary. But now I think he's as lovable as...as...a Carebear!
(Source: TBoy's Tea Time)

So I found some useful sites to look for elaboration on the characters:

a) Death Note anime in general [Wikipedia]
b) A complete list of Death Note Characters in the anime and manga [Wikipedia]

And also click on the links where my picture source came from. They wrote some reviews on Death Note too! The series is really watchable, and don't say I didn't warn you about episode 27 onwards!

On to the manga collection I should think!

No comments: