My first trip to Kuching and this is for attending a conference organised by the Sarawak Biodiversity Centre. I think this conference is very well organised and venue is excellent (Hilton Kuching). We shall now view in semi-detail about the wonderful trip I've had. I just woke up not long ago from a 15 hour sleep so consider yourselves lucky that I am in the mood to update my blog with close to a hundred photos (out of 230 photos) taken from this trip.
Off to Kuching Meow Meow City
The trip there took 1 hour and 45 minutes by flight. We flew Air Asia. The bus ride was definately more comfortable than the plane ride because economy-class flights are SO LACKING of leg space. Eh they think everyone is short.
Off to Kuching Meow Meow City
The trip there took 1 hour and 45 minutes by flight. We flew Air Asia. The bus ride was definately more comfortable than the plane ride because economy-class flights are SO LACKING of leg space. Eh they think everyone is short.
Eh if you're going to Sarawak for the first time, panic-not when you see the Immigration Counters. I thought we were in trouble because we didn't bring our passports. We only need show our ICs if we're non-Sarawakians. Be sure to keep your visit pass until you leave, because you will need to produce that visiting pass upon leaving Sarawak. We arrived at Hilton Kuching and checked in. Since the room wasn't ready, we went for jalan-jalan at the Main Bazaar road to check out souveniers. Life is all about shopping ok.
They won a 'Fair Price Award' by the Sarawak Ministry of Tourism. The name of the shop is UD Siburan Jaya Sdn. Bhd. and their staff wear blue shirts with green collars. EVERYBODY, buy your stuff from this shop ok (they own 3 shop lots)!!! Another shop which staff wears black shirt and orange collars cut your throat until you bleed. We found out on our last evening when Veron wanted to buy a pair of sandals. The orange collared shop (who also owns 2-3 shop lots) attempted to sell the pair of sandals for RM 19 after a so-called 90 cents discount. When we walked down further to the green collared shop, they sold the pair for RM 14 and the pair came in much better condition. SO I am now praising UD Siburan Jaya Sdn. Bhd. with all my might.
The Accomodation: Hilton Kuching
The staff here are super friendly and patient with us the super demanding customers. We took half an hour to check in because our requests are endless. Ms. Doris, who arranged our check in was ever-so-patient with us. And she's so pretty too. You will see as you read, that besides guys, we always check girls out too.
The room condition is also super great and we got one with the view over the waterfront. Waterfront is the Kuching River I think. The staff provides room service twice a day!! They refill our coffee and sugar sachets the moment we get out of the room (something like that). They come round every evening to ask whether we have dirty towels. They don't mind if 3 people stay in a room and even give us 3 keys. They let us have an extra towel without charge. They basically fulfill our every whimsy kiasu-people request. I can't stop praising them and you know how often I praise people right.
Day 1 Evening: Jalan-jalan Activities
Day 1 Evening: Dinner at Top Spot
Thank you Dr. for treating us dinner! This is a yummy seafood hawker centre and See Sin introduced this stall to Dr., now Dr. introduced this stall to us.
Day 2 Morning: Breakfast Buffet at Hilton Kuching
Super wide array of food. I love their latte. Because I am kiasu, I got to eat in this buffet 3 times. They only let 1 person per room eat for free every morning. So how I got to eat 3 times out of 4 mornings, we'll get to that point soon.
Day 2 Morning: Opening of the Symposium
I only went there for the opening on that day. After lunch, we went for our own activities. Hahaha. I really like the table settings. They have tables for notes-writing ease. Are all conferences like this?? If not all, then this symposium is very impressive! Plus, the VIPs in Sarawak actually know their facts and this is also very impressive la. This is the first time I learnt SOMETHING from people of the ministry. They don't include political talk at all. Thumbs up.
Day 2 Afternoon: Sight Seeing Activities
We walked along the Waterfront and also went to the Museum. Unfortunately no cameras were allowed in the museum so didn't get any photos.
Then we attempted to go to Fort Magharita but the route there is very deserted so we scraped that plan and turned back. Our dinner was at Khatulistiwa and the food really not nice. It's difficult to find yummy food within walking distance. We have to hire cabs.
Day 3 Morning: Natural Products Session of the Symposium
This is my favourite day because I discovered a cute guy sitting behind Dr. Yati. There was also an interesting paper on natural product studies by Prof. Dr. Alan Harvey from the University of Strathclyde. Dr and I met him sitting next to our table during breakfast. His lecture was truly inspiring and I paid 100 % attention, that is such an amazing thing for me.
Day 3 Evening: Dinner Organised by the Symposium Committee
We went shopping after our nap and then bought maggi cups because we were easily hungry during 6 pm, no idea why. We're fantastic you know. 3 of us got ready plus ate maggi at 45 minutes flat. Then it's off to dinner.
Day 4 Evening: The Closing of the Symposium and Dinner
Remember the cute guy I told you about whom I discovered during the Natural Products session of the symposium? Hohoho congratulate my guts to approach him and sit next to him and managed to get a photo with him during the closing session of the Symposium! I am so great. Don't roll your eyes Veron, I can see you from here.
I need to demonstrate how happy and pleasant and patient Kuching people are. So after taking that photo, a hotel staff asked me whether I wanted to be in the photo as well, he will take the photo for me. I said it's ok because we were already blocking 2 cars behind (only 1 car can pass at that road). The 2 cars behind never honked at all while I was taking the photo. OMG. When I told the hotel staff it's ok, he said nevermind wan. So ok I went and join them for a photo. The 2 cars behind still never honked. You know ah if I'm them and I'm in KL, I would see my wrath already. Like once, this girl blocked my road in IPS and I showed her sarcastic-smile face and then sour face. Wait man, more on happy Kuching people later.
We took a cab ride to Padungan area and ate dinner in Memories, a cafe style dining place. Oh the cab driver also super friendly and we engaged him for 3 rides.
We took a cab ride to Padungan area and ate dinner in Memories, a cafe style dining place. Oh the cab driver also super friendly and we engaged him for 3 rides.
Day 5 Morning: Breakfast and Journey Home
So remember I got to eat 3 breakfast buffets? We have 4 mornings and I was supposed to go for 2, Veron and Ing Kin once each. I know, so unfair because I am so kiasu I took two days. HAHA. On the 3rd morning, Ing Kin's turn and she asked the Asst. F&B Manager why only 1 person is entitled for breakfast? He said ok the next morning all 3 of you can come. And we did. Thank you Mr. Shanaka.
Then we checked out and got a cab to the airport. More on friendly Kuching people. Eh have you seen a Jabatan Kastam staff SMILE and BE FRIENDLY to you?? Immigration officers patiently chatting with you?? Well in Kuching, they're as such! I love them so much I can't stop praising them. No wonder BN can win big in the East Malaysia. We should be separate countries la, the Peninsular people are affecting their image. I am an unpleasant driver in the Peninsular, I scold inefficient bank staff, Streamyx staff and by the way, MOX Gases Sdn. Bhd. scolded me and I scolded her back during my favourite Symposium session!!!!! Berani them!!! The receptionist scolded me for not being available for contact, as if she came to UM 10 times and couldn't get me 10 times. Padahal I never received any missed calls from anyone during my stay in Kuching. I am actually very nice to sales reps but this time MOX Gases bite me for no reason. *grumpy* It's really too bad that gases in Malaysia are monopolised by them. AND they are always out of stock of purified CO2 as if nobody ever breaths in MOX. Hah maybe that's why they're so uptight.
Such a wonderful trip. I love Kuching people but hor, the shop closes at 7 pm. I still am very much attached to KL after all.
1 comment:
^^
I was hoping I could be a follower of your blog, but I don't the follow thing.
I came across your blog while I searching for book covers and somehow had a liking of your posts.
Hope that I haven't done anything to make you uncomfortable.
-Kim (Kkum)
Post a Comment