Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Taking of Pelham 123

Genre: Action
Rating: 9/10


THE BEST HOLLYWOOD ACTION MOVIE I've seen in YEARSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Really not exaggerating. Finally, something in the cinemas that is not from a famous fiction, a prequel, a sequel (Ice Age 123, Pirates 123 and Spiderman 123). The '123' in Pelham MEANS something. This movie is so good, it felt like I was in the 90s for the 2 hours. Never once I looked at the watch for the time "are we there yet?" (read: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button). Action / thriller movies in the 90s eg. The Fugitive (Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones), Face / Off (Nicholas Cage and John Travolta), The Rock (Sean Connery, Ed Harris, Nicholas Cage), The Man in the Iron Mask (Leonardo DiCaprio, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich). Really, the 90s movies of this genre, where have you been hiding?!?! Miss all of these SO MUCH. Pure acting, smart characters, good lines, great emo and less special effects = great action movie.

*Ahhhh* Ranting over. More about this movie. I Googled it and found 2 other older versions of this. One in 1974, another in 1998. Never heard of them. This movie really has got no advertisment, unless you count a great big billboard along Federal Highway. One glance at it show two major actors and I made up my mind I would catch it. 2 days after its opening, I forgot about it ... 2 weeks later - I saw a small ad in the papers (someone was using the paper as scrap). It is going to be off the screen soon, only 2 shows left on a Sunday in the big cinemas.

So anyway the summary of this show is that John Travolta is the hijacker of a subway which final (?) stop is Pelham. Denzel Washington is the head of controls in subway control centre. The story continues from there. I think the movie was so interesting for me because I kept waiting for Denzel Washington to appear, not knowing that the head of controls IS Denzel Washington. I kept bugging Mr. Shu "where is Denzel Washington la?". I only realised after 15 minutes into the show that the head of controls is he. I expected him to be a negotiator from FBI or something.

Cried in one part loh. The other parts were just exciting, smart and funny! Music - nothing to note about. Acting - they're both GREAT. John Travolta's character here reminds me of him in Face / Off (when he played the villain). Final note: So so so good that you'll say no to after millennium 'action' movies from now.

No comments: